Saturday, July 2, 2011

Hats and Huicholes

El Santo & a Mexican woman who resembles Anna Karina

I'm in two summer classes... Golden Age of Mexican Cinema and Latin American Civilization and I've been looking into topics for my two end of semester theses, so I was thinking the re-articulation of Indian culture in modern art and also El Santo films. I'm choosing these because I know nearly nothing about either and think it would be fun to dive into some research without preconceptions.. either way looking at huichol art and costume it occurred to me to make a contemporary Huichol inspired hat to wear around, because that would be fucking cool and Gaultier doesn't give a shit about exploiting the Mexican's peripheral cultures and also because the Geneva convention's proposition on preserving culture is bullshit...

-MJJ

1 comment:

  1. i love my people everyday i AM THINKING IN THEM I KNOW ALREADY. THEY ALWAYS WILL REMEMBER ME IN WHEREVER THEY ARE.......SAY HELLO TO EVERYONE WHEREVER YOU ARE. THANKS SO MUCH FOR TO BE INTERESTED IN MY PEOPLE IN EVERY SINGLE DAY.

    ReplyDelete